Monday, February 11, 2013

Ruling the Board: Unterspielstadt 1/28/13: Outpost





After a quick game of Crokinole, I went directly into a much longer game, Outpost. 

In the game, you auction off cards while you build resource manufacturers to get more funds to win more auctions.  This game was a bit more complicated than the norm and I really didn’t start fully getting the hang of it until about half way through.  By this point, I was hopelessly lost, but kept fighting the good fight.

I had gone for slow and steady throughout the game which had me in the lead for a stretch in the middle, but as the game transitioned to phase three cards, Colleen ran away with things.

I was able to do just enough late to take 2nd place, but we were all well behind.

Final Score:

Colleen – 92
Me – 58
Eric – 58
Matt – 52
Doug – 46

Final Thoughts:

This was an interesting game with a few interweaving pieces of strategy that makes for a unique experience.  You have to decide what types of cards you want to buy and how far you will go to buy them, you also have to determine how many of the entry type factories you are going to build and when you will use your workers for them on other positions and close the factory.

You also have to manage your resources to buy what you need when you need it without wasting turns.
This was a game with a deep strategy, but not too difficult mechanic so that it isn’t too hard to start playing, but it would take a decent bit of thought to really get good at it and build a winning strategy.

I enjoyed this one and although I wouldn't want to play it all the time, I would be willing to give it another play in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment