Monday, February 11, 2013

Ruling the Board: MWGC 1/19/13: Amun-Re



After winning my first play of this game at Unterspielstadt the previous week, it was time for a retry with one carry over player and a couple of new ones.  It was the first game of my day pretty early in the morning and was a good way to get things going.

In this game I started getting scoring cards off the bat and gained a number of them throughout the game.  So, my strategy changed from pyramids and temples to segments of the board and farmers.

I quickly discovered that this was not the best strategy, actually a fairly weak one.  I learned that farmers and segments are good, but only with a strong base of pyramids to get you a good base of scoring.

However, the scoring cards kept coming and I played it out to see how things would end up.

The answer… not very well.   It ended up being a probably average to low scoring game overall, which meant that I did not lose by as much as I probably should have.

End Results:

Moishe – 38
Chad – 37
Eric – 31
Me – 29

Final Thoughts:

In two games, I managed to come in first and last.  However, the game is much more about strategy than luck, so it appears to be pretty well balanced.  There are a few major strategies that can be used, but mostly, it will come down to the minutia of the different aspects of the strategy you use, or in my case of the first game, stumbling upon a something that works at the time.

This is a really fun game that can be learned pretty quickly, but seems like it will retain its fun and replay value for quite some time.  I’m looking forward to playing this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment