Monday, February 11, 2013

Ruling the Board: MWGC 1/18/13: Tales of the Arabian Nights






Tales of the Arabian Nights was my last game of the evening.  In the game, we played adventurers from the stories.  We had a goal to achieve for extra points, but the overall point of the game is to reach a certain number of story and wisdom points and make your way back to the starting city.

In our game, our goal was 16 and I chose my goal of eight of each.  We chose our adventurers and our skills.

Chad – Ma’aruf
Anna – Scheherazade
Stanley – Sinbad (seamanship, weapon use, luck)
Frank – Aladdin
Karen – Zumurruel
Aaron - Storyteller

My quest was seek knowledge and my cities were placed on the board.  We all began and quickly were put to the test.  A couple of players started out strong with a number of points in their favor, I was not one of these people.  I made my way to my first city and then quickly thereafter was ensorcelled.  This was the beginning of a theme for me on this night.

In a game where you have to deliberately move to specific places on the board and others are able to move you instead of you choosing, things become a bit difficult.

Others were dealing with their own issues such as marriage, running away after not marrying, and being imprisoned.  As a weapon user, I tried to fight allot, which did not end up being a very good strategy.  Not only could I not move my own piece, but I was also quickly wounded.  This later led to death.

I quickly discovered that death is fairly rare in the game, so I would achieve at least something in the game.
I was reset and started from scratch with Sinbad.  I was quickly then ensorcelled again.  I was then wounded and ensorcelled yet again.  I got some really bad results in my final couple turns and even though my wisdom and storytelling were skyrocketing as the others didn't see me as a threat, there was no way I was going to win.

After four hours, Anna finally had reached her goal and returned to the starting city for the victory.

Pros:

There was some fun storytelling.
“Camel Babies”

Cons:

The game took a long, long time to play, especially for what it was.
The options chosen seemed too often not make any sense with the story that then followed.
There seemed to be too many really bad effects in the game that helped to convoluted it and drag it out.

Final Thoughts:

Not a bad group, but we had some really bad rounds where the game seemed to crawl.  There were some fun things that happened like the “Camel Babies” running joke and the crawling through the hole in the grave to the pit of diamonds where the person picked up some before hitching a ride taunton style in the body of a dead beast to get out.

I’m not sure if I’d really want to play this one again.  I usually like storytelling games, but in this one, the storytelling is done by the storyteller and not the players, which negates it for the most part.  Also, the game often not making sense story-wise from chosen options and skills made them somewhat pointless.

It was a fun game that introduced me to a few people that I would be gaming with a few more times throughout the tournament, so I was glad to get to meet them and get to know them a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment