Monday, February 11, 2013

Ruling the Board: MWGC 1/18/13: Elder Sign



The first game up for me in the convention was Elder Sign.  I had played the board version once before and had a good time.  I have played the app version a few times and really enjoyed it.  I wanted to play with a few more people, though, so I made sure to get to this event.

Azathoth was the Elder God to keep from awakening and we had a group of four lion-hearted people to keep him from doing so (Ann - Vincent Lee, Sam - Mandy Thompson, Me - Gloria Goldburg, Aaron - Monterrey Jack).

We played a nearly perfect game.  The dice rolls were in our favor and we took the build up and knock it out approach.  So, with our first couple of rounds we gained a few trophies and elder signs, but we gained allot of items, spells, and clues.

So, once we started pushing for elder signs, they were much easier to get.  We were able do defeat a few different double elder sign cards within two rounds which built them up very quickly.  At this point, the dice started to cool off a bit, but we already had so many trophies that we were able to turn them in for the few elder signs still needed.

Overall, I was a little disappointed in the ease of defeating the game for the second time in a row.  I'm assuming that it can be much more difficult than what we have experienced so far, but I just haven't seen it yet.

Thankfully, with the great theme work in the game, the fun mechanics, and really cool dice the game remains fun in each play.  I am starting to get a little worried, though, that after a few more plays, it may start to see a decline in my rotations of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment